Saturday, September 19, 2020

minstrel's ash

 

In February I carved my first spoons out of ash. The tree I harvested a branch from is one of the ones growing in the play yard of a community school I lived next to at Sunnyfield Farm. One day I brought the children over to circle around while I reverently made the cuts. I told them we would see how many spoons I could get out of this one branch! So far I've only completed two from it, but I have a couple more blanks roughed out. 

The design of this one is special as the second one in which I made a continuous plane from the tilted lip of the bowl all the way up the sides to the tip of the handle. Continuity is an aspect I love to work into the spoons in different ways. It speaks of the infinite reality behind all things.

This one I gave as a birthday gift to a hero of mine named Joules Graves when I joined in an improv theatre performance outside the window of her room in the care facility where she was already on lockdown in the first wave of Covid19 in March. 



No comments:

Post a Comment