Sunday, September 20, 2020

alder serving spoon

 

While on Lopez Island before coming down to California I roughed out a couple blanks from willow and alder I'd gotten from a friend's place. While I was living with my friends at their lovely home in Valley Center I took some time to complete spoons from them. This alder serving spoon was much-needed in a kitchen without many of this size, and few wooden utensils overall. These friends Collin and Rivkah were very hospitable to me, and I was happy to make a contribution to their good life there.

I've been loving this spine ridge that has come into a few of the recent designs. It adds a sense of continuity as it extends the line from the neck, and reminds me of hand carved wooden canoes of olden times. The rings were close and the way the grain patterns showed up on this spoon was especially beautiful.







No comments:

Post a Comment