Wednesday, September 13, 2017

larch for a maiden


The wood for this spoon came from the fishing pole that my teacher Lynx Vilden cut while we were up in the mountains after the period of training I did with her in August. This larch tree, though the size of a sapling of a few years growing at lower elevations, was many years old. She was going to leave it up at the lake, and I decided to use it as a walking stick on the way back down. I didn't need the whole length for the walking stick, so once I got home I cut the thicker end off. Just enough length for a small spoon. I had wanted to see what this wood was like for carving, but had not felt to take from the trees along my way. What I need is often provided by God through my friends in this way!

After a time of waiting to see who this spoon would be for, I met someone on Lopez Island who it seemed to fit. Maggie became a very important part of my life and I am so glad I could give her this token of my wonder at the beauty of life and the providence of connection.




No comments:

Post a Comment