Thursday, September 28, 2017

alder rice paddle?


I made a special friend who showed an interest in learning to carve while at Imagine Festival on Orcas Island. A huge alder tree fell right next to her tent the night after I met her. We harvested a branch from it and split a knot-free section with a nice curve. I took the inside curve, giving her the more desirable half for a spoon. I began carving my half while it was green, and kept it slowly drying while I got around to finishing it. I was amazed at how it worked out to use the bark as the rim of the bowl. I had never thought of doing this before. When I later showed this creation to my carving friends Walter and Garth they each made one in this style themselves!

This one has not yet found a home...






Soon after it was finished I met this man on the ferry from Orcas to Lopez Island and I asked him if I could take a picture of him with it. He wanted to show his deformed hand as well as modeling the spoon.






No comments:

Post a Comment