Monday, December 28, 2020

sycamore serving spoon

 


One beautiful day this fall, while riding to Ocean Beach from East County, I came across a bus with trees painted on the outside. The owner of the bus was outside, and this felt like a great opportunity to meet someone new. Luke and I hit it off right away, and he offered to make a video of me doing a spoon carving demonstration I was planning. Besides being a wonderful, kind human being, Luke is a video blogger and web designer travelling the country while learning how to be more fully alive. Check out his videos on his YouTube channel! 

When I started to ride off after our meeting I remembered I'd said to myself that the next person I had the opportunity to get a picture taken by I would ask. So I went back and Luke got this nice picture of me with my unusual bicycle luggage system. 





The wood came from a huge sycamore growing near where we had breakfast on the side of the road the morning of a spoon carving demonstration I was doing at Backfence Society in Vista. I was not able to get a fresh branch, but found one recently fallen that I selected a good section from. The wood was harder to work because of how dry it was, and doing the axe work took the full two hours of the demo. I was able to finish the clean up knife work the same day, and eventually finished it on a special visit to Luke at his bus where he was parked on Fiesta Island. It was presented to him as a gift that day. 











No comments:

Post a Comment