Thursday, December 28, 2017

redwood snail


I was given a piece of redwood by my friend Joseph while visiting my sister in Humboldt a couple years ago. From the same piece of wood I made a spoon for Joseph and for Infinite Link (pictures forthcoming).

I sent out a notice on Facebook at that time to see if anyone would like me to make them a spoon. I got two responses, and one of them was from my old friend Nuria. She was moving to a new house and needed a new tea scooping spoon. When I asked her whether she had any particular ideas for a spoon design she mentioned some woods, but otherwise left it completely up to me. I felt it out and landed on using this piece of redwood that had a big, unusual knob on one end. For some reason I had cut the blank this way... I saw a snail in it and began the rough shaping.

It is ironic how this project stalled for so long, finally being completed more than a year and a half after starting. It was my slowest process ever. Sometimes I am just waiting for the right energy or inspiration that will push me through the challenging hurdle in the design. The shell was confounding me, but then while I was staying with this community in Raymond recently I found the right peaceful, supportive atmosphere in which to approach it. It was like a floodgate opening!

When my father saw this spoon finished it might be my masterpiece. I give all the credit to the brilliant one who created me and fills me with life and the power to create. I am amazed!









No comments:

Post a Comment